Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index
::: powered by Princess-Diana.com :::
Diana, Princess of Wales
A place to have discussions, share information and post pictures about Princess Diana

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Queen was dismayed that Earl 'ignored' Diana's faith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index -> Princess Diana News Princess Diana News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: The Queen was dismayed that Earl 'ignored' Diana's faith Reply with quote

The Queen was dismayed that Earl 'ignored' Diana's faith
By Andrew Pierce

Eulogy in full

THE Queen was deeply saddened by Earl Spencer’s outburst against the Royal Family at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, because he failed to pay sufficient tribute to her life and faith.
While the huge applause from the crowds outside ripped up the nave of Westminster Abbey, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh sat motionless at the end of the Earl’s oration.

Gyles Brandreth, the author who has had unrivalled access to the Queen, describes in The Spectator today for the first time her reaction to the speech by her godson.

“The Queen, at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, was disappointed with the address given by Diana’s brother . . . not because of Charles Spencer’s ungracious remarks about the Royal Family, but because Spencer’s speech failed to do justice to his sister’s memory,” writes Mr Brandreth, the author of Philip and Elizabeth: Portrait of a Marriage.

“Spencer was so busy knocking the press and insulting the royals, he left himself no time to pay proper tribute to Diana’s manifold gifts and achievements.

“The Queen (who takes her religion seriously) was especially saddened by the fact that her godson (Spencer) failed to acknowledge the importance to Diana of her personal faith.”

Mr Brandreth, who is doing two one-hour programmes on the television channel Five to mark the Queen’s 80th birthay on April 21 and the Duke of Edinburgh’s 85th on June 10, made the claim after being given permission to speak to members of her inner circle of friends.

He talked to the exiled King Constantine of Greece, Lord Snowdon, the former husband of Princess Margaret, Lady Soames, the daughter of Winston Churchill, and Lady Mountbatten, the widow of the assassinated Earl Mountbatten, a favourite uncle of the Prince of Wales.

Mr Brandreth declined to say whether the Queen or the Duke, or both, talked to him directly about Earl Spencer. “All I will say is that my sources are impeccable. In the films we have used only prime witnesses — the friends and family who have had first-hand accounts to give,” he said.

When he wrote the book in 2004, Mr Brandreth had spent days with the Queen and the Duke. He had also spent hours separately with Prince Philip at breakfast, lunch, dinner, on trains, in planes and cars — and talked to him at length, on the record and off, in his study at Buckingham Palace.

Mr Brandreth, who was briefly a Tory MP, has known the Duke for 25 years through their work for the National Playing Fields Association. “I like him,” he said. “I am an admirer of both the Queen and Prince Philip, and while (the book) is sympathetic I hope it is also illuminating.”

In his eulogy, Earl Spencer, in one of his most hostile passages about the Royal Family, declared: “On behalf of your mother and sisters I pledge that we, your blood family, will do all we can to continue the imaginative way in which you were steering these two exceptional young men so that their souls are not simply immersed by duty and tradition but can sing openly as you planned.”

Mr Brandreth also lavished praise in The Spectator on Prince Edward, whom he interviewed at Buckingham Palace for the two films, which are being edited. He wrote: “On past experience, I’d written off Edward as a bit of a whingeing wimp. On this occasion, I found him wholly engaging — funny, friendly, unstuffy. Edward is said to be his parents’ favourite son. I can believe it.”

THE FUNERAL ORATION

. . . All over the world, a standard-bearer for the rights of the truly downtrodden, a very British girl who transcended nationality. Someone with a natural nobility who was classless and who proved in the last year that she needed no royal title to continue to generate her brand of magic . . .

. . But your greatest gift was your intuition . . . This is what underpinned all your other wonderful attributes, and if we analyse what it was about you that had such a wide appeal, we find it in your instinctive feel for what was important in all our lives . . .

. . . Diana explained to me once that it was her innermost feelings of suffering that made it possible for her to connect with her constituency of the rejected . . .

. . . For all the status, the glamour, the applause, Diana remained a very insecure person . . . almost childlike in her desire to do good so she could release herself from feelings of unworthiness, of which her eating disorders were merely a symptom . . .

. . . It is a tribute to her level-headedness and strength that, despite the most bizarre life imaginable after her childhood, she remained intact, true to herself . . .

. . . We fully respect the heritage into which they (the Princes) have been born and will always respect and encourage them in their royal role, but we, like you, recognise the need for them to experience as many aspects of life as possible to arm them spiritually and emotionally for the years ahead. I know you would have expected nothing less . . .
Amy is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scupidu
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Eulogy in full:
If you want, you can hear the full Eulogy

Quote:

I stand before you today, the representative of a family in grief, in a country in mourning before a world in shock. We are all united not only in our desire to pay our respects to Diana but rather in our need to do so. For such was her extraordinary appeal that the tens of millions of people taking part in this service all over the world via television and radio who never actually met her, feel that they, too, lost someone close to them in the early hours of Sunday morning. It is a more remarkable tribute to Diana than I can ever hope to offer her today.

Diana was the very essence of compassion, of duty, of style, of beauty. All over the world she was a symbol of selfless humanity, a standard-bearer for the rights of the truly downtrodden, a very British girl who -- who transcended nationality, someone with a natural nobility who was classless, and who proved in the last year that she needed no royal title to continue to generate her particular brand of magic.

Today is our chance to say "thank you" for the way you brightened our lives, even though God granted you but half a life. We will all feel cheated, always, that you were taken from us so young and yet we must learn to be grateful that you came along at all. Only now you are gone do we truly appreciate what we are now without and we want you to know that life without you is very, very difficult. We have all despaired at our loss over the past week and only the strength of the message you gave us through your years of giving has afforded us the strength to move forward.

There is a temptation to rush to canonize your memory. There is no need to do so. You stand tall enough as a human being of unique qualities not to need to be seen as a saint. Indeed to sanctify your memory would be to miss out on the very core of your being, your wonderfully mischievous sense of humor with a laugh that bent you double, your joy for life transmitted wherever you took your smile, and the sparkle in those unforgettable eyes, your boundless energy which you could barely contain.

But your greatest gift was your intuition, and it was a gift you used wisely. This is what underpinned all your other wonderful attributes. And if we look to analyze what it was about you that had such a wide appeal, we find it in your instinctive feel for what was really important in all our lives.

Without your God-given sensitivity, we would be immersed in greater ignorance at the anguish of AIDS and HIV sufferers, the plight of the homeless, the isolation of lepers, the random destruction of land mines. Diana explained to me once that it was her innermost feelings of suffering that made it possible for her to connect with her constituency of the rejected.

And here we come to another truth about her. For all the status, the glamour, the applause, Diana remained throughout a very insecure person at heart, almost childlike in her desire to do good for others so she could release herself from deep feelings of unworthiness of which her eating disorders were merely a symptom. The world sensed this part of her character and cherished her for her vulnerability, whilst admiring her for her honesty.

The last time I saw Diana was on July the first, her birthday, in London, when typically she was not taking time to celebrate her special day with friends but was guest of honor at a fund-raising charity evening. She sparkled of course, but I would rather cherish the days I spent with her in March when she came to visit me and my children in our home in South Africa. I am proud of the fact that apart from when she was on public display meeting President Mandela, we managed to contrive to stop the ever-present paparazzi from getting a single picture of her. That meant a lot to her.

These were days I will always treasure. It was as if we had been transported back to our childhood, when we spent such an enormous amount of time together, the two youngest in the family. Fundamentally she hadn't changed at all from the big sister who mothered me as a baby, fought with me at school, and endured those long train journeys between our parents' homes with me at weekends. It is a tribute to her level-headedness and strength that despite the most bizarre life imaginable after her childhood, she remained intact, true to herself.

There is no doubt that she was looking for a new direction in her life at this time. She talked endlessly of getting away from England, mainly because of the treatment that she received at the hands of the newspapers. I don't think she ever understood why her genuinely good intentions were sneered at by the media, why there appeared to be a permanent quest on their behalf to bring her down. It is baffling. My own, and only, explanation is that genuine goodness is threatening to those at the opposite end of the moral spectrum.

It is a point to remember that of all the ironies about Diana, perhaps the greatest was this: a girl given the name of the ancient goddess of hunting was, in the end, the most hunted person of the modern age.

She would want us today to pledge ourselves to protecting her beloved boys, William and Harry, from a similar fate. And I do this here, Diana, on your behalf. We will not allow them to suffer the anguish that used regularly to drive you to tearful despair.

And beyond that, on behalf of your mother and sisters, I pledge that we, your blood family, will do all we can to continue the imaginative and loving way in which you were steering these two exceptional young men, so that their souls are not simply immersed by duty and tradition but can sing openly as you planned.

We fully respect the heritage into which they have both been born, and will always respect and encourage them in their royal role. But we, like you, recognize the need for them to experience as many different aspects of life as possible, to arm them spiritually and emotionally for the years ahead. I know you would have expected nothing less from us.

William and Harry, we all care desperately for you today. We are all chewed up with sadness at the loss of a woman who wasn't even our mother. How great your suffering is we cannot even imagine.

I would like to end by thanking God for the small mercies He's shown us at this dreadful time; for taking Diana at her most beautiful and radiant and when she had joy in her private life.

Above all, we give thanks for the life of a woman I'm so proud to be able to call my sister: the unique, the complex, the extraordinary and irreplaceable Diana, whose beauty, both internal and external, will never be extinguished from our minds.

::: www.princess-diana.com ::: www.princess-diana.co.uk ::: www.pictures-princess-diana.com :::
scupidu is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

Amy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was the most fantastic speech Very Happy
Amy is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Jamient1410
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why the Queen was 'dismayed'. That was nearly 9 years ago and the Queen must have forgotten by now. But Earl was diana's brother so he was griefing and angry at the time so the Queen may have been expected this but that is in the past now. But I think his speech was very moving.
Jamient1410 is offline View user's profile Send private message

sarabella
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would agree with posts!

HM Queen getting furious and more upset of her godson Charles Spencer's Speech and no respect to her godmother ever! but he do insult all of royals about Diana's death but i cant help it.

but im sure her brother really more grief since Diana's death and he already vows to royals nephews include Prince William and Prince Harry on his mother's funeral but i cant believe he done it!

but Diana have guardian paper because of William and Harry under of 25 years old they later both now adults but both not lived with his uncle ever! but the boys lived with his dad the Prince of Wales because Prince Charles raise him!
sarabella is offline View user's profile Send private message AIM Address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index -> Princess Diana News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: