Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index
::: powered by Princess-Diana.com :::
Diana, Princess of Wales
A place to have discussions, share information and post pictures about Princess Diana

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Queen invites Earl Spencer back into fold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index -> Princess Diana News Princess Diana News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Queen invites Earl Spencer back into fold Reply with quote

Daily Express
24 Apr 2006

By Richard Palmer Royal Correspondent

THE Queen heralded an end to the feud between the Royal Family and Princess Diana’s relatives yesterday.

She invited Diana’s brother Earl Spencer to her 80th birthday service of thanksgiving at Windsor.

It came only a month after the wounds over the Royal Family’s treatment of the Princess were reopened by fresh controversy surrounding the Earl’s oration at her funeral.

It emerged that the Queen was angered by his attack on the Royal Family during the oration which she felt overshadowed Diana’s talents and achievements.

But yesterday the Earl looked relaxed sitting with his wife Caroline in St George’s Chapel for the service.

INVITED: Earl Spencer with his wife Caroline at yesterday’s service in St George’s Chapel, Windsor

They were among 700 guests, including nearly 40 members of the Royal Family, King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, former prime ministers Baroness Thatcher and John Major, mountaineer Sir Edmund Hillary and the Aga Khan.

But there was no invitation for Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, whose feud with Prince Philip stills cast a shadow. However, her daughters Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice were there.

Zara Phillips was away horse riding but otherwise it was a full house for the Royal Family.

DOUBLE ACT: Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice – without mother

The Dean of Windsor, the Right Reverend David Conner, praised the Queen’s Christian faith, her steadfastness, endurance and discipline, and the example she had set to the nation. “Your Majesty, not so much through word as by unselfconscious good example, you encourage us, you give us heart,” he said.

He also paid tribute to the Queen’s “sense of calmness, serenity and stillness”, telling the congregation: “I have a hunch that everyone of us will be expressing gratitude, for some kind of encouragement received as we have tried, in our ordinary lives, to be decent and to care.” The congregation listened intently to the dignified service of readings and hymns in the historic chapel, which began with a birthday prayer. The Queen, wearing a Stewart Parvin duck egg blue silk outfit with a matching hat complete with a peach flower and brim, sat in the front row in the nave, absorbing the service but betraying no emotion.

A GREAT EXAMPLE: The Queen leaving St George’s Chapel after hearing tributes

Next to her was the Duke of Edinburgh, with the Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and Princes William and Harry further along the pew. The Queen’s actual birthday was celebrated on Friday with a mix of public and private events, a royal walkabout in Windsor and a family dinner at Kew Palace hosted by the Prince of Wales for his “darling Mama”.

During the thanksgiving service an anthem by the Poet Laureate Andrew Motion was featured – more solemn then celebratory.

The Golden Rule was set to music by the Master of the Queen’s Music Sir Peter Maxwell Davies and sung by the choir. The words celebrated the Queen’s “constancy” in contrast to the changing state of the world.

Mr Motion said he was “very proud and very pleased” to have his anthem performed. He said: “To say that the Queen has not changed is obviously not true. But this idea of her steadfastness and stability is something that appeals to a lot of people.”

St George’s holds great poignancy for the Queen. It is the resting place of her parents and sister Princess Margaret.
Amy is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
db
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Charles back into the fold Reply with quote

Hello from Canada:

Anger is part of the grieving process. Emotions run very high at funerals and Charles was only venting his hurt and frustration. I am glad the waters have been stilled.

Diane
db is offline View user's profile Send private message

Jamient1410
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree with you. They now are ready to move on.
Jamient1410 is offline View user's profile Send private message

LadyM
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Queen invites Earl Spencer back into fold Reply with quote

Amy wrote:
Daily Express
24 Apr 2006

By Richard Palmer Royal Correspondent

THE Queen heralded an end to the feud between the Royal Family and Princess Diana’s relatives yesterday.

She invited Diana’s brother Earl Spencer to her 80th birthday service of thanksgiving at Windsor.

It came only a month after the wounds over the Royal Family’s treatment of the Princess were reopened by fresh controversy surrounding the Earl’s oration at her funeral.

It emerged that the Queen was angered by his attack on the Royal Family during the oration which she felt overshadowed Diana’s talents and achievements.

But yesterday the Earl looked relaxed sitting with his wife Caroline in St George’s Chapel for the service.

INVITED: Earl Spencer with his wife Caroline at yesterday’s service in St George’s Chapel, Windsor

They were among 700 guests, including nearly 40 members of the Royal Family, King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, former prime ministers Baroness Thatcher and John Major, mountaineer Sir Edmund Hillary and the Aga Khan.

But there was no invitation for Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, whose feud with Prince Philip stills cast a shadow. However, her daughters Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice were there.

Zara Phillips was away horse riding but otherwise it was a full house for the Royal Family.

DOUBLE ACT: Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice – without mother

The Dean of Windsor, the Right Reverend David Conner, praised the Queen’s Christian faith, her steadfastness, endurance and discipline, and the example she had set to the nation. “Your Majesty, not so much through word as by unselfconscious good example, you encourage us, you give us heart,” he said.

He also paid tribute to the Queen’s “sense of calmness, serenity and stillness”, telling the congregation: “I have a hunch that everyone of us will be expressing gratitude, for some kind of encouragement received as we have tried, in our ordinary lives, to be decent and to care.” The congregation listened intently to the dignified service of readings and hymns in the historic chapel, which began with a birthday prayer. The Queen, wearing a Stewart Parvin duck egg blue silk outfit with a matching hat complete with a peach flower and brim, sat in the front row in the nave, absorbing the service but betraying no emotion.

A GREAT EXAMPLE: The Queen leaving St George’s Chapel after hearing tributes

Next to her was the Duke of Edinburgh, with the Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and Princes William and Harry further along the pew. The Queen’s actual birthday was celebrated on Friday with a mix of public and private events, a royal walkabout in Windsor and a family dinner at Kew Palace hosted by the Prince of Wales for his “darling Mama”.

During the thanksgiving service an anthem by the Poet Laureate Andrew Motion was featured – more solemn then celebratory.

The Golden Rule was set to music by the Master of the Queen’s Music Sir Peter Maxwell Davies and sung by the choir. The words celebrated the Queen’s “constancy” in contrast to the changing state of the world.

Mr Motion said he was “very proud and very pleased” to have his anthem performed. He said: “To say that the Queen has not changed is obviously not true. But this idea of her steadfastness and stability is something that appeals to a lot of people.”

St George’s holds great poignancy for the Queen. It is the resting place of her parents and sister Princess Margaret.

The Queen seems to be smoothing all the wrinkles that affected her life in the pass years. Looks like she wants to move on with clean conscience.
Is the abdication getting closer? I guess we shall find out if we see the Duchess of York back in fold too.
LadyM is offline View user's profile Send private message

Jamient1410
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say this but The Prince of Wales called his mother as 'Mama' sound tacky to me as he is a very grown man.

LadyM
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamient1410 wrote:
I'm sorry to say this but The Prince of Wales called his mother as 'Mama' sound tacky to me as he is a very grown man.

I quite agree. It would have been more appropriate to call her Mother Dear or something. :wink:
LadyM is offline View user's profile Send private message

Amy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamient1410 wrote:

lol i know he's a moron Laughing
Amy is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

djlevinson
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Prince Charles Reply with quote

Amy wrote:
Jamient1410 wrote:

lol i know he's a moron Laughing

When reading about the royal family and their lack of family closeness, I find it rather sad. I continue to be a big Diana fan, and was nearly nuts when she died, but I do feel bad for Prince Charles. The Queen was a better mother I think to her last two than she was to Anne and Charles...
djlevinson is offline View user's profile Send private message

Jamient1410
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Princess Diana would have sniggered if she heard her Ex called his mum as 'Mama'.

djlevinson
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: That giggle Reply with quote

Jamient1410 wrote:
I think Princess Diana would have sniggered if she heard her Ex called his mum as 'Mama'.

I was watching a video on Princess Diana the first time I heard that wonderful giggle, she had such a way about her!
It doesn't seem possible it will be 10 years next year since we lost the Princess... Sad

Jamient1410
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I can't believe it either! It remind me that our life in this planet is very short let alone 10 years.

djlevinson
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: I wonder how they will honor the 10th Anniversary? Reply with quote

Jamient1410 wrote:
I know I can't believe it either! It remind me that our life in this planet is very short let alone 10 years.

I hope they have something special for this Anniversary, with the two wonderful boys involved.
Glad to see the Prince Harry is taking his Mum's lead and helping out the less fortunate.

Jamient1410
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It rumored that William and Kate may be engaged early next year. If that is true, that would be nice to mark part of his mother's anniversary to celebrated her life in a positive way.

djlevinson
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: She looks regal doesn't she?? Reply with quote

Jamient1410 wrote:
It rumored that William and Kate may be engaged early next year. If that is true, that would be nice to mark part of his mother's anniversary to celebrated her life in a positive way.

Saw pictures of Kate at Camilla's daughters wedding, and she stood tall and very pretty. Dressed wonderfully and would of liked to have seen a snap of her and William together.
As long as she makes him happy, that would be a good thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index -> Princess Diana News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: